Friday, August 17, 2007

Cravings

Today's Thought: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I was craving for dumplings yesterday. A few minutes after office hours, I decided to skip gym class and give in to my longing for hakao, sharksfin and carrot cake. There’s only a few nice restaurants here (I’m always pro ambiance – with or without a date) that have good authentic dumplings. I have Dynasty in my mind already – it’s the nearest from my office and is just beside the Mall where I can do my groceries later (just being true to my motto: “Bawal magutom”) and stuff my ref again. I went around the building hoping for a parking space. It’s usually crowded during this time of the day (simply because it’s the only place where people can go to unwind). The Mall at Gadong is like Eastwood, Metrowalk, Glorietta, Rockwell and The Fort rolled into one. I saw a parking space exactly in front of the restaurant, beside the basement parking exit. I’m starving, there’s no car before me and no car going out of the parking exit so I took my chances and drove passed the exit ramp, turn right against the one-way entrance and I got my space (tablahan na ito). I excitedly walk passed the restaurant/hotel entrance to withdraw some cash from the ATM just ‘round the corner and leisurely walked back to the hotel lobby. Smile turned to shocked and then to pout (all in 3 seconds time). Was it immediate karma (for going against the road sign) or just not my luck, but the resto was still close! It resumes business at 6:30PM and it’s only 6:10PM. Should I wait for a few more minutes? My stomach was grumbling worse than ever. I have to decide fast. I got back in my car and headed to NyoNya, just another block away and settled for buttered prawn.

I love this dish but I wasn’t craving for it. It tasted nice as always and Nyonya has the best buttered prawn if you ask me. It’s been a day now but I still got dumplings on my mind. Maybe next week I’ll try again.

No comments: