Friday, April 25, 2008

Eye Candy

“No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.” -Helen Keller

Bukit Shah Bandar is Brunei’s remarkable nature trail. And it’s free for public use and yet, very well maintained. How cool is that? It’s also just about 20minutes drive from the city and is just beside Empire Golf and Country Club should you wish to spend a lavish afternoon tea break after climbing the hills of Shah Bandar. Thank you very much Mimi for taking time and inviting me to see this place. Nakahabol pa before I leave and it was worth it. The whole experience was so unforgettable because it was mixed with so many ‘lost’ moments. First, I got in the wrong lane and ended in Trader’s Inn hotel and back to Gadong. It was my first time to drive there alone and the sign was put after the road separates and is hidden in the bushes. But that was a minor ‘lost incident’ compared to what was awaiting us on top of the hills. We started a bit late coz Mimi came from work and I got ‘lost’ on my way there so it was already 5:40ish when our walk started. By 6:30, we were exhausted and can only finish 1 trail. We reached the 4th hut though and on our way back, Mimi decided to be more adventurous and try the other trail going down the hill. The sky was getting dark and with all the trees in the woods, it was even darker in the ground. After all, I read somewhere that only 5% of the sun’s ray reaches the forest ground. It was exciting though since it felt like we were in some adventure movie – ala Narnia, Lord of the Rings, you get the drift. After about 10 minutes and we cannot see any sign of parking area or highway and just trees abound us, Mimi confirmed that we were indeed lost. We decided to run back from where we came from and just use the trail we used going up. We had to run because it was already dark and the park closes at 6:30PM and it was way passed that time. Lost count how many times we said careful to each other because of the steep road, some paved, some rocky but all very narrow. By 7:20ish, were out of the jungle and were so glad to see the highway. Only 4 cars were left and there were 3 guys chatting there. Apparently, they were about to find the owners of the 2 cars – my and Mimi’s, and were sure we were lost. Told them our story and thanked them profusely.

To reward our hard work and triumph – coz we sure felt like amazing race winners, we had buko juice! Sure trench our thirst.

And final ‘lost’ moment for me as I can’t seem to reach Bandar. It was dark and again my first time to drive on that rode alone and at night. After so many turns, I finally got it. I could have enjoyed the ride it is was daytime and was not exhausted from walking and running. I missed Cel’s birthday party and I’m sure there were lots of goodie food – she’s a good cook, but I’m still happy over the whole event. Unforgettable indeed!

No comments: