Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Couldn’t Be Anymore Chinese than Here

"Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet." -Anonymous

It took me to be located in a Muslim country to experience Chinese New Year full blast – open house lunches, afternoon snacks or pika-pika and dinner invitations from Chinese boss and acquaintances, and of course the most exiting part, am pao. The latter makes me feel like a young girl back in our streets knocking on neighbors doors on Christmas day asking for pamasko. Good old times. CNY is the only occasion that I’m actually on the receiving end of money. And it’s been a long time since that happens, $1:PHP25 pesos pa! LOL. I often see news about CNY celebration on TV and newspaper and back in Eastwood, it’s a week long celebration complete with all sorts of psychic reading – from tarot to palm reading and etc. But that’s the closest I was able to get. Not even when I was in college and one third of the class were Chinese. Not even that my Auntie’s husband is Chinese (he’s so Pinoy that he cannot speak Chinese anymore). Not even when I stayed in Penang where only a quarter my officemates were not Chinese and the fact that the island’s main inhabitants are Chinese. Not even when my ex is Chinese (well, that’s another story, hehe). In short, walang nag invite sken, lol (sounds bitter pero nde naman, reality lang).

So I’m glad I experienced CNY here and to personally witness how a big deal it was. My gym even closed on 7th February, the 1st day of the year of the Rat. It compensates for the almost non-existence of 31st December eve celebration here.

No comments: